Saturday, May 4, 2013

Page 29 -- IV.

Chapter Four: ‘Embolden thy steeled heart...’
Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

Hector shifted at his desk. ‘Uh... okay... So what do I do?

Hmm.

Garovel?

I’m thinking. He looks perfectly healthy, so it’s probably not illness. I can see the aura around him--Officer Mallory, by the way--but the danger doesn’t seem to be immediate. He IS in the middle of a police station, after all. I suspect the exact nature of the threat won’t become apparent until he leaves the building.

You want me go to the police station right now?

It looks like his shift doesn’t end for a few hours. You have time. Head down here after school.

Are you sure...? I mean, it’s a man’s life at stake... and I really don’t mind skipping class...

I’ll let you know if the situation changes. In the mean time, you should probably take steps to conceal your identity. If you end up having to take a bullet for this man, it’d be best if he doesn’t see your face when you shrug it off.

O-okay, but... I don’t exactly have a mask or... anything...

Figure it out. Borrow something from a store along the way, if you have to.

I don’t think that’s borrowing...

If you can’t find a mask in time, then. Well. You’re just going to have to risk it. Obviously, concealing your identity is not more important than a person’s life.

Hector paused a moment, and then quietly sighed. ‘I... think I know where I can borrow one...

Splendid.

It, uh, it might look really weird, though...

Oh. Well. Forget it, then. We can’t have you looking weird.

You don’t have to be mean...

It’s tough love, Hector. Tough love.

5 comments:

  1. The banter is starting to remind me of Skulduggery Pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I'm loving the back and forth between the MCs. It's hilarious in a morose kinda way

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, isn't the teacher still waiting for his reply? The facial expressions he makes must be hilarious xD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I'm not a native speaker I'm probably wrong, but shouldn't the space in "In the mean time" be removed?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oddly enough, "mean time" and "meantime" are both acceptable usages.

    I do add typo fixes to the ebook versions. It's a bit of a hassle , but yeah.

    ReplyDelete