Thursday, May 16, 2013

Page 47

Her brow furrowed. “Well, whatever the case, if you’re going to skip school, then at least get good at it. I used to call the school and pretend to be my mother when I was your age.”

“Are you... encouraging me to skip school?”

“Don’t be stupid, sweetie. Of course you should go to school. But I can’t force you to go, so if you’re going to skip, then do it in a way that they don’t end up calling me while I’m at work. I nearly lost a client because of the interruption today.”

Hector just looked at her.

“Hold on.” She left briefly and returned with a small box. “I made you plenty of notes.” She handed it to him.

“Uh...” He was usually able to figure out what he wanted to say after a bit of fumbling, but this time he had nothing.

“Or you can just call ahead and pretend to be your father. Or do something creative. Whatever.”

Incredulous, he stared at his mother. “Uh... is Dad okay with this...?”

“Of course. You’re old enough to make your own decisions about your life, sweetie. You’ll be eighteen in a couple years, and then you’ll be on your own. It’s best you learn to start being responsible for yourself now. Goddess knows you’ve been a burden on your father and I long enough, already.” And she left him there.

He wasn't sure what this feeling was. At once confused, distraught, and still faintly happy to be thought of. It wasn't exactly pleasant, but he wondered if causing trouble would earn him further attention. He immediately discarded the notion.

15 comments:

  1. what he wanted
    she

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, no, that's actually correct. It's saying that Hector usually figures out what he himself wants to say after fumbling for his words. Y'know, referring to his troubles with talking 'n whatnot.

      Thanks for the check, though.

      Delete
    2. oh i thought it was refering to the meaning of his mothers words, not to actual words

      Delete
  2. This is it, this is why i like this story, this rather eccentric dialog between characters!


    I could empathize how Hector somehow grew into what he was in this story, with that kind of motherly affucktion, sorry, affection

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you mean to write "Goddess knows you're been a burden..."? Goodness sounded more likely...

    ReplyDelete
  4. no you were right the first time and the whole statement you will be 18 in a couple of years is bullshit he isn't 18 yet cow.


    Sorry if anyone gets offend by my use of swearing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My jaw dropped when I was reading her words. I couldn't believe it

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just as confused as Hector...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah it seems a bit odd

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. What a family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no sympathy for Hectors parents

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man, its no wonder he wanted to kill himself with parents like that

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm more confused than him...
    Which mother encourages her son to skip school?

    ReplyDelete
  12. ...you'll see. Everything will make sense later...

    ReplyDelete