Friday, May 24, 2013

Page 59

“It’s like I told you,” said Lance. “He’s the one who took the mask. Then he went and lost it.”

“Is this true?”

He gave another nod. “Yeah.”

Ms. Trent glared at Lance. “Did you bully Hector into saying this?”

“Of course not!”

“You’d better tell me the truth now. If I find out later, I swear to goddess I will have you suspended.”

“I didn’t bully anyone!”

“He’s telling the truth,” said Hector. “He, uh... he tried to stop me, actually.” ‘Why does everyone think I’m being bullied?

You do look very bulliable.

“Alright,” said Ms. Trent. “Lance, you’re off the hook. Hector, you have three days’ detention, and you’ll have to pay a fine to replace the mask.”

Lance took a relieved breath and left.

“Uhh... but I don’t have any money...”

“Then your parents will have to pay.”

Hector frowned. “W-what if they don’t?”

“They’ll pay if they want you to graduate. The school will withhold your diploma if you have any outstanding fines.”

He didn’t think that would make a difference, but he kept his doubts to himself. He could worry about it later. “I, um... I also came here for another reason.”

“What would that be?”

“I’d like to rejoin the club.”

“Oh, is that so? Well, all you have to do is start showing up again. I’m still not sure why you stopped.”

“Ah... just... personal reasons...”

Ms. Trent wasn’t the type to pry. Or perhaps she just didn’t care very much. Hector had never quite figured her out. But whatever the reason, she didn’t push the issue and let him return to the workroom with the others.

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, second time someone's used goddess rather than god. Both were women though. I am intrigued. Last time you capitalised Goddess though, typo this time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a typo, actually, but thanks for the check. "god" and "God" are interchangeable, and it's the same here. The only slight difference is in the implication that someone who says "god/goddess" does not really believe in said deity, whereas someone who says "God/Goddess" does.

      But given how confused people are about capitalization in general, that implication is a pretty dubious one.

      Delete
  2. But is it a plot point that the characters are saying "Goddess" instead of what people normally say, "God"? To be straight, the gender doesn't matter, but it's still interesting to note.

    ReplyDelete