Sunday, June 2, 2013

Page 71

Rofal sat down. “Leave us,” he told Swank, who promptly exited. He took a deep breath and ran a hand through his red and gray hair. The weathered lines of his face made his expression all the more foul.

“You sure Swank wasn’t followed?”

“He said he wasn’t, but who knows. Do you remember anything about this person? You said he was young.”

“Looked like a teenager. Seemed really intimidated by me. Before he started beating the shit out of everyone, anyway. But it can’t be the same guy. He must have had a partner.”

“Then what’s their objective?”

Colt shrugged. He couldn’t help grinning. “Can you think of any reason why someone would want to hurt you?”

Rofal did not look amused. “You are obviously not the person to discuss this with. Tell me how your assignment went.”

“I contacted some of my old colleagues in the department. Told them I was innocent, like you said. I’m pretty sure none of them believed me.”

“I didn’t expect them to. But now they will be conflicted. And perhaps more malleable.”

Colt furrowed his brow. “You mean to coerce them.”

“Empires are not built on alliances. They are built on conquests.”

Colt just looked disgusted.

“Three of your fellow officers and two teenagers,” Rofal reminded him. “And you felt nothing when you killed them, no? I’m sure a bit of surreption won’t pose too much of a moral dilemma for you.”

He stared back coldly. “I expect I’ll feel something when I kill you.”

“Careful, Colt. Do not jeopardize the understanding we have.”

“I apologize,” he said through his teeth.

“I’m aware of your current hatred for me,” Rofal said. “But in time, I believe you will see the situation as I do.”

1 comment:

  1. Whoa, what's going on here? I have no idea what to believe where the bad guys are concerned...and I fucking love it!

    ReplyDelete