Sunday, June 9, 2013

Page 78

This would be the most time-consuming stage by far, Hector knew. Welding would also take a while, assuming he managed to accomplish this part properly, but there was a tremendous amount of measuring and remeasuring and hammering and rehammering needed in order to achieve the desired shapes.

It’s time we discuss what to do about Colt, don’t you think?

Hector didn’t stop hammering. ‘I want to help him.

Garovel paused. ‘Are you sure about that? He killed four innocent people, you know.

Yeah... I know... and I’m not sure I can forgive that, but... you said he has children...

I did, yes. But being a father doesn’t absolve him of his crimes.

He stopped to remeasure. The forehead was still too broad. ‘He’s trying to protect them,’ Hector thought, ‘and even if... even if he doesn’t deserve our help... his children still do... I mean, don’t they?

The reaper stared at him a moment. ‘You continue to surprise me, Hector.

He felt the blush coming on and stopped his hammer before he screwed up the next hit.

Hmm. A rescue mission, then.

Yeah...

And once the kids are safe from the Rofals, we can turn Colt over to the police, too.

Ah... somehow, I don't think he'll agree to that, even if we save his kids for him.

Well, we don't have to tell him that part of our plan. Point is, he's already got an inside track on the enemy. If we team up with him, we could bring down the whole organization in one fell swoop.

You really think he'll accept our help?

I don’t know. His circumstances are uniquely precarious. It’s hard to say how he’ll respond to anything at this point. But I don’t think offering him our aid will pose any risk to us. I'll be observing him without him realizing it, so if he ever tries to betray you, you'll have plenty of warning.

He probably still thinks I'm dead, though, doesn't he?

Yeah, probably.

So he'll be freaked out to see me again.

Yeah. And he may require some convincing that it's really you.

You think it's worth revealing that I can come back from the dead? Just to convince him to work together?

If it helps us bring down the entire Rofal operation before anyone else gets killed, then yeah, I'd say it's worth it. Sure, we could take a more attritional approach, but the victims are just going to keep piling up in the meantime. Hell, the Rofals might start trying to use hostages against us, if we take too long. Giving them time to strategize is not a good idea, I think.

Hmm, okay...

I’ll go keep tabs on Colt while you work. Tell me when you’re done.

Right. But, uh... I’m gonna be here a while...

1 comment:

  1. Dammit, Hector could be making a big mistake but I can't say I would not make the same choice...

    ReplyDelete