Thursday, June 13, 2013

Page 82

When Colt spotted him approaching, the man’s posture stiffened and his hand moved for his coat pocket. “Who the...? Wait. It’s you, isn’t it? I heard you were causing trouble. Looking to avenge your partner, are you?”

“No, I... I, um...”

Colt squinted at him.

Calmly. Deliberately. At your own pace, Hector.

“I... know about your children, Officer Colt.”

“Do you, now?”

“I’ll be brief,” said Hector. “I’m going to rescue them, because... whatever I think about you... your children are innocent.”

Colt seemed amused. “You’re going to rescue them,” he said. “And how, exactly, are you going to accomplish this feat? Do you know where they are?”

“I don’t... have to tell you that...”

Colt revealed his gun, but kept it pointed low. “Hold on, kid. I’m not going to let you run in and put them in danger.”

“They’re already in danger...”

“The only thing keeping them safe is me,” said Colt. “My actions. As long as I do what he wants, they’re not in danger.”

“What happens... when he wants you to do something... that you can’t do?”

“I’ll do anything. You understand that, kid? There are only two lives that matter to me, and mine ain’t one of them.”

Hector was quiet a moment. He took off his helm. “I’ve never had a partner,” he said, holding it under his arm.

“You’re lying,” said Colt. “You’re that kid’s twin or something. It’s the only explanation.”

“Then shoot me,” said Hector. He walked closer. “Shoot me right in the head... and then you’ll see...”

“Stupid kid. Are you suicidal?”

Don’t answer that.

“I thought you said you’d do anything,” said Hector.

8 comments:

  1. Oh man, what rotten timing for reaching the current post. I may have to stay away several days to build up some reading material.

    Thank you for sharing this story with us.

    Oh, in the second paragraph, "if he to wanted finish" I think you meant it to be "wanted to".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that typo was on page 79. I was so engrossed in your story I forgot to post until I hit the end!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. That is tremendously flattering.

      Delete
  2. Oh goodness...Definitely can't wait for the next post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you again. Thanks for all the comments. I'm excited as well.

      Delete
  3. 'And how, exactly, are you going "to" accomplish that feat?'

    Again sorry, I must be getting annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not at all. I DREAM OF A TYPO-FREE STORY, ONE DAY.

      Thanks for the catch.

      Delete
  4. Badass Hector is badass

    ReplyDelete