Saturday, July 13, 2013

Page 135 -- XV.

Roman let up. “I’m not so sure these fucking things can be tamed, Vincent. Just look at him.”

Each breath felt like swallowing fire, but the pain only delighted Geoffrey further. “Do you people know what I am?” he asked, voice raspy and torn. “Tell me!”

“Ah.” Vincent pulled the boy to his feet. “Learn to obey, and I will tell you all I know.”

Geoffrey’s expression soured.


Chapter Fifteen: ‘Behold! Thy deathly steed...!’
Click to display entire chapter at once -- (mobile link)

This is the address that was in the ad,’ said Garovel.

I still think this is a terrible idea...

Just ring the doorbell.

Hector pushed the button and heard the chime go off inside the house.

A brawny, middle-aged bloke opened the door. He scratched his head as he looked at Hector. “Yeah?”

“Ah, I, uh... I’m the one who called earlier, uh... about your ad...”

“Ugh, you?” The man frowned. “Why ya gotta waste my time like this, kid? I thought you sounded young on the phone, but hell.”

“No, I, uh... I want to buy it for my dad.”

“Yeah, sure you do.” He started closing the door.

Hector stopped it with his hand. “Please, just...” He dropped a duffel bag full of cash on the doorstep.

The man eyed the money, and then Hector. “A gift for your dad, huh? Let me show you to the garage.”

Hector picked the bag back up and followed him around to the rear driveway. They entered a standalone shed where the man pulled a tarp off of a motorcycle.

“Here we are,” the man said. “You know much about bikes, kiddo?”

“N-not really, no...”

“Well, like the ad said, this is a Revenant Softail RS1800 Cruiser.”

“Right. Um... w-what do all those words mean, exactly?”

11 comments:

  1. Hope you don't mind if I pester you guys a bit here. It'd be really helpful if you could vote for the TZK at Topwebfiction here. You don't have to register or anything, but it's a weekly thing, so your vote goes away after seven days.

    I know some of you already do vote for TZK there, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy mother ducking nuggets. A death-themed motorbike? Control over iron? it makes sense now. It's like ghost rider with knight helmets. And zombie teenagers. And reapers. THANK YOU SO MUCH FROST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ‘This is the address that was in the ad,’ said Garovel.
    I believe you meant was. unless Garovel is now German, which would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. This is a funny one, actually. Garovel is talking in the present tense because they have just arrived and are now in front of the house. Other ways he could've said would be like, 'This is the address from the ad' or just, 'This is the place.' He's referring to what IS right in front of them.

      You are right, too, though; he could've said, 'This was the address that was in the ad.' That'd make it so he's referring to only the written address in the paper, rather than the physical location before them.

      These are both technically correct in their own way. Plus, it's speech, so grammar gets a bit wonky anyway. Garovel frequently talks in sentence fragments, and Hector just kinda does... yeah.

      But, um. Do I wanna change it? Nah, I think I'll just leave it. People will be able to see an interesting case study in the comments here about the horrors of the English language. Thanks for the check, though, William.

      Delete
    2. apologies Mr.Frost, I though the italicized w was a v. A thousand apologies.

      Delete
    3. Haha, oh. Now I understand the remark about being German.

      No worries, Mr. Tiessen.

      Delete
  4. "not so sure these fucking things can be tamed" does this imply that there are more...things like Geoffrey? ah only one day one of findying this and im already addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Didn't even notice the "Revenant" til Destruktorz's post. Thank you so much, Frost. If you go back to Hector's fight with Geoffrey, I mentioned I loved Revenants. So this was a bonus for me

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just kinda assumed there were more out there like Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steed? Motorbike? YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHH

    ReplyDelete