Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Page 149

Save the dwindling towers of Brighton, rolling green hills filled all horizons as he sped across the road. White and dark clouds spotted an otherwise blue sky, and Hector could see a faint drizzle gathering on the visor of his helmet. Garovel had pointed out that it was unsafe to continue using a helmet that had already been involved in a collision, and Hector had promised to find a new one at the earliest convenience, since they were obviously so safety conscious.

He couldn’t remember a time when he saw the Atreyan countryside so clearly. The most mundane things drew his gaze. A massive, lone tree, branches sprawling higher and wider than anything he’d seen in Brighton. A quaint flock of sheep grazing on a hill, shepherd and dog not far away. The faint shadow of eastern mountains on his right, thankfully not between him and Sescoria.

Then he felt the bike shake beneath him and realized he was straddling the yellow ridges in the middle of the road. He corrected his course and decided to save his gawking for later.

There are some things I should tell you before we get there,’ said Garovel.

Things?

In particular, names. I don’t know what we’ll encounter in the capital, but I figure this’ll become relevant eventually, anyway, so I might as well tell you now.

Okay.’ Hector was just trying to keep his eyes on the road.

With reapers, there are two big entities: Abolish and the Vanguard. The balance of power shifts between them. Though, for all I know, there could be a third major power these days. I’m a bit out of the loop, if that wasn’t already obvious.

Hmm. These two sides are at war?

Constantly. All over the world. Been that way for ages.

Geez... what are they fighting about?

4 comments:

  1. they were obviously so safety conscience
    conscious?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait, what? This is the last page!? *falls to his knees* NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

      Well, I suppose it's time for the general comments, then. I just found this story on Topwebfiction yesterday and it. is. Awesome. Seriously, I read the first page and I was like "man I like this, got to read more". It is only serious tiredness (and thus a diminishing ability to appreciate the reading, which was unacceptable) which prevented me from going through it all in one sitting.

      It's not that often that I get this excited and happy about a new story, so you got yourself a new reader.

      Delete
    2. Haha. Wow, thank you. I adore seeing new readers enjoy the story. And don't worry. There's plenty more coming.

      Also, thanks for the typo catch.

      Delete
  2. I'm surprised that Hector automatically guessed that Vanguard and Abolish were at war. Didn't seem that obvious from just Garovel's words (even though the reader could have guessed from Roman's words).

    And yes! More info bout the world!

    ReplyDelete