Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Page 159

“I did no such thing! Helen! How can you even think that I--?!” He stopped himself, pensive. He took a breath and scratched his brow. “No. I understand. This is just like you, isn’t it? Suspecting everyone. And as well you should, I suppose. But I promise you, I had nothing to do with it. Any of it.”

“Convince me,” she said.

His expression hardened. “Fine. What are your reasons for suspecting me, then?”

It was her turn to be reluctant. “Well, firstly... you did not wish to marry me.”

“Helen, that was a lifetime ago...”

“What was the reason? Or reasons. Tell me the truth, William.”

He cast his eyes at the floor briefly, frowning as he looked back up at her again. “I had feelings for another woman when we met. She was a commoner. My parents did not approve and so organized my marriage to you.”

A familiar story. Her brother David experienced something similar, though he did not go through with the marriage--or rather, he had gotten the woman to hate him so much that she refused to go through with it. As for William, Helen could believe him. She remembered how timid he was in those days, particularly around his family.

“I never resented you,” he said. He took a deep breath. “In fact, I... I’ve never loved anyone more in my life.”

Her eyes widened, and she turned red.

Wait, what?’ Mehlsanz floated around the two of them. ‘Why the hell are you blushing? You’ve been married to this guy for years, already.

Helen struggled for the right words. “I did not realize you felt that way...”

“I often find it difficult to tell you my feelings...”

Are you fucking kidding me?

“William, I also... love you.”

Hold on, this is a trick, isn’t it? You’re trying to trick him, somehow.

The King smiled.

The Queen smiled.

Holy shit, it’s not a trick.

12 comments:

  1. I had feelings for another women when we met.

    it should be as below
    I had feelings for another woman when we met.


    Love the story though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fixed, thank you. That one was just invisible to me. I read it three times and still didn't see it.

      Delete
  2. I suppose that would be awkward for Mehlzsans (GOD, so hard to spell her name!).



    Did Mehlz ever married to some1? Or she died prematurely, ah, condolence extended

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could be. The reapers have all lived very long and complicated lives. There's lots to tell, but we'll get there. ALL IN GOOD TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, how refreshing. Politician as a...by god, a person! Not a grey entity, a benevolent entity, an evil entity - a person. You rise to the occasion again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My reaction was remarkably right along rhe same lines as Mehl's

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, that was... cute. And awkward. Mostly awkward, for Mehlsanz. But relatable royalty, what sorcery is this...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found it on my tenth try...

    ReplyDelete
  8. A touch of romance
    nice ;D

    ReplyDelete