Sunday, August 11, 2013

Page 175

“Curious.” Desmond eyed him again. “How old are you?”

“Nineteen. Why?”

“Ooh, older than I thought. How many people have you killed?”

“I have not been keeping track, honestly. A couple dozen, perhaps?”

“Not bad,” said Desmond. “Maybe you haven’t realized yet, but your power grows as you consume souls.”

“Oh! That would explain why I feel stronger lately.”

“Yeah, aberrations are great that way. But you should be careful not to kill too many people too quickly, or you’ll end up drawing the attention of the Vanguard.”

“What is that?”

“Our enemies. They know about aberrations. They fear you guys, and rightly so. If they realize you’re here, they won’t hesitate to send one of their strongest people to kill you.”

“Sounds like fun.”

“Oh, it can be, but only when the time is right. Aberrations are all about momentum. You can grow in power much more quickly than we can, but you have to kill a lot of people while still staying hidden. Otherwise, you’ll be stomped into oblivion before you ever get a chance to become a genuine threat to the enemy.”

“Hmm, I see. I suppose killing the Queen of Atreya would be doing exactly that, then.”

Desmond laughed. “You’re here to kill the Queen?”

“Yes.”

“No kidding! We came to kill the Queen, too!”

“Really? Oh! Are you the ones responsible for all that destruction over there?!”

“Yep! Sadly, though, she managed to escape. Some other servants got in our way.”

“Servants?”

“People with reapers. We’re a bit outnumbered, actually. Why don’t you join us in hunting her down? If you stick with us, we’ll keep you hidden from the Vanguard. Or protected, at least.”

“That sounds wonderful!”

“Excellent! I really like your snake by the way.”

“Thank you! They were upset when I took him, but the hat was simply not enough of a prize for me.”

“Entirely understandable.”

-+-+-+-+-

“I wanted to thank you for saving Her Highness’s life,” said Lynnette. “As well as mine.”

17 comments:

  1. XD I love that Desmond just says "Entirely understandable." about the taking of the snake like Geoffrey only asked for the correct change he didn't get XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really makes sense when you think about it though. A hat alone isn't much of a prize...
      RD

      Delete
  2. Haha I probably would have taken the snake too.
    ~Chelsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let it never be said that Geoffrey is completely unrelatable.

      Delete
  3. I love how casual and perky this conversation is, between two people who murder frequently. Yet another reason I love your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geoffrey's always polite, but for some reason, everyone's been really rude to him up to now. It's tough for him to friends with similar interests, you know.

      Delete
  4. "The Vanguard knows about aberrations. They fear you guys [...]"
    For Desmond's dialogue here you first treat the Vanguard as a single entity, but then treat it as a group of people. It might be best to have them all the same, ie change it to "The Vanguard know [...]"

    And I'm definitely digging the pleasant banter between the two murderous maniacs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is true, yes. I hold to this rule in the normal narrative, but characters tend to say whatever sounds natural to them, so I'm kinda torn about changing it. Hmm.

      Eh, I'll fix it. It's confusing enough that it readers might accidentally get the impression that it's correct. Thanks for the catch.

      Lovely to see you're still reading, by the way.

      Delete
  5. If I could mindbreak things, I wouldn't settle for a snake, I'd take a fucking rhino, FUCK YEAH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...But then, I guess he WAS at snake land...

      Delete
    2. SURPRISE, THE SNAKE ACTUALLY TRANSFORMS INTO A RHINO ON THE NEXT PAGE. SPOILER.

      Delete
  6. ...of course those two get along. They're just about the same sort of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It makes for the worst kind of perfect sense

    ReplyDelete
  8. This scene...between two homicidal maniacs...just shooting the breeze...I love it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some people are making new friends...

    ReplyDelete
  10. HEY, just because someone is a homicidal maniac, doesn't mean that they can't be polite. :)

    ReplyDelete