Thursday, December 19, 2013

Page 416

“Gabriel’s fall is inevitable,” said Luther. “I have already ensured that much. His war with Rendon will ruin House Lumenbel and House Belgrant both.”

“What makes you so certain?”

“Abolish will deliver the chaos I asked of them. It is the one thing upon which we may rely.”

“Unless Helen returns and eradicates them first.”

“A highly doubtful outcome, but one I have considered, also. If she does somehow succeed, we will simply turn on Gabriel to prove our loyalty to her, and she will welcome us back to her court. It would prove an irritating setback, of course, but I am confident that another opportunity would present itself in time.”

The man wasn’t wrong, he knew. That contingency plan would probably work, if David didn’t fully intend to sabotage it. But hopefully, he wouldn’t have to wait that long.

Luther seemed to be growing restless as he asked, “So may I count on your assistance?”

Certainly, Luther was no ally. The only question now was how much of a threat the man truly was. “You may,” said David. “But it sounds as if you have matters well in hand. What is it that you want me to do?”

“You are an unambitious man,” said Luther. “You always have been. Father saw that as a great flaw, but it is precisely for that reason that I am likened to trust your judgment in developing a new power structure for Atreya.”

“Excuse me?”

“Once the dust settles, I believe that, together, you and I can set the cogs in motion for lasting reform. Not to become leaders ourselves, mind you, but to make room for newer, worthier people.”

David took a moment to consider the other man’s words. “For all your planning, you don’t know what the next step is?”

“I do not.”

“Rather reckless, don’t you think? You risk subjecting our people to utter lawlessness.”

“Even anarchy would be preferable to monarchy.”

12 comments:

  1. Should “So may count on your assistance?” be
    “So may I/we count on your assistance?”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Luther seems like a pretty good guy, putting so much effort into trying to change his country for the better. If only he wasn't completely crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understood where Luther was coming from until that last bit about anarchy. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. But... But...
    Crazy is te ONLY way to be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the monarchy isn't ideal but before Helen was made to flee Atreya was doing pretty well under one and has been for a while. I think Luther's confusing his father's position and interference in his family's personal lives with a horrible dictatorship over the country.

    David would make a great spymaster based on how well he convinces people he's on their side. I would like to see a team up between him and Gina. I mean after the war to get rid of Abolish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really wonder how long David's position can last, though. As things come to a head, it's going to get harder and harder for him to convince people that he's on their side.

    But if he lives long enough, I'd like to see him team up with Gina, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still, it could be turned to use. As an american, I don't really have a problem with abolishing the monarchy if a) the decent members of the royal family aren't slaughtered in the process and b) a solid system is prepared to take its place. But since I have no idea how you see the matter, I have no idea where you'll go. Which just makes it fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy shit, you just made me realize Gina could be listening in on this. And so could Abolish reapers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shit...I can't say he's wrong to want change but wasn't the country doing well under his sister's rule? Why conspire to kill her when she wasn't even the cause of his suffering?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Indeed. Thank you for the catch. Fixed now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. He was...well, like a lot of madmen. Somewhat accurate view of the problem, really insane view of the solution.
    --Kid Radd

    ReplyDelete