Monday, January 6, 2014

Page 473

<“Who is this?”> said the King.

“Ah--” Gina fumbled a moment, eyes shifting between the family of three. And she laughed nervously as she said, “I’m Gina. But, aha, you wouldn’t actually know who I am, would you? I helped Hector and Lynnette rescue you, but um, I really need to talk to Lynnette right now. I’ve got her family here, and, um. She is there, isn’t she?”

There came a long pause. <“Yes, she is here, but she is currently quite unconscious. She was very tired.”>

Gina’s expression shriveled up. “Mm. Ah. Okay. Not the greatest timing on that. You’re the King, though, so--” She put him on speaker for everyone to hear. “Could you please help me convince these nice people that I really am Lynnette’s friend?”

Another long pause. <“...She may have mentioned your name, yes. Gina, was it?”>

The family was not looking especially convinced. Even the father seemed rather doubtful now.

Gina tried a smile anyway. “There you see? It’s the word of the King. Trustworthy, yeah?”

“That voice could belong to anyone,” said Mrs. Edith.

Her smile spoiled.

“You will take me to her,” said Mrs. Edith.

“Of course,” said Gina. “Let’s all hurry, then.”

“No, I alone will accompany you. My husband and daughter will wait here for the time being.”

“Ah--no, please, you all have to come. You’re all in danger.”

“Not until I confirm your words with my own eyes,” said Mrs. Edith in a voice that brook no argument.

And Gina grimaced. The mother was clearly not going to budge. Time was limited. Options were dwindling. She knew it was a bad idea, but Gina’s eyes turned down to her purse, and she went for her pistol. She looked up at the family again, gun in hand, and was about to apologize when she realized that she no longer saw three people before her. There were only two. The mother was missing. And before Gina could even turn, the woman reappeared from around the corner to her left.

With one hand, Mrs. Edith grabbed Gina’s gun arm, forcing it up and away, and with the other hand, she held a sword to Gina’s neck.

Gina’s eyes widened and a squeaking whimper escaped her lips. “Okay,” she said quietly, heart in her throat. “I give up. You win.”

14 comments:

  1. Someone donated $50, which means I have to do ten days of donation bonuses. And that's a lot. So I'm going to spread the days out across January and the beginning of February. There'll be two bonus days each week for the next five weeks. They'll be Wednesdays and Sundays.

    Rather than just throwing it all out there at a random time, I figured it'd be good to give you guys something more consistent and easier to remember (not to mention easier for me to handle).

    For exact dates, check the Donate page at the top of the site.

    Also, I'm gonna go ahead and start asking you guys for ratings over at Web Fiction Guide here. Funny story about that. A while back, I told everyone that I was waiting for a particular time before requesting reviews 'n the like, and then... I kinda forgot about. That particular time came and went. So then I was like, "Okay, I'll wait until after the holiday special." And then I forgot again. .So. ENOUGH PUTTING THINGS OFF. PLEASE LEAVE A RATING AND/OR REVIEW. You do have to register with that site in order to leave one, but I'm guessing at least of few you folks already have an account there, so. Yeah, I'd appreciate it.

    And I'm rambling, but oh well. Please vote for TZK at Top Web Fiction here.



    I'm being very demanding in this comment. I APOLOGIZE BUT NOT REALLY. THANK YOU, THOUGH. YOU'RE WONDERFUL. DID YOU DO SOMETHING NEW WITH YOUR HAIR? BECAUSE IT LOOKS GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome. Thank you, mystery donator, for all the additional pages we'll get! :)

    Also a little typo:
    "she is currently quite unconscious[ness]."

    And now we know where Lynn got her awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowtail the KhajiitJanuary 6, 2014 at 7:28 AM

    WHY YES I DID DO MY HAIR DIFFERENT. THANKS FOR NOTICING. XD
    Ooh, leaving reviews for this? Lemme go write one now. *runs to do that, after voting at TWF*

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, you ARE the only reader. Hence the 0 votes. In fact, I am actually you, responding to ourself to make me feel better. Now quick, go do that thing I forgot to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, that's very unlikely to work. Most readers don't read the comments, and the ones that do probably don't read the comments on every single page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, darn. And here I thought I was going to see if there really were ~80 people reading this fine work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At the moment, I'm getting ~150 unique visitors to the site each day. That's not the same as total number of readers, though, because of course, not everyone visits everyday.

    It's a bit hard to gauge from the stats, but I think I've got around 350-400 readers.

    Some folks visit every other day, every few days, weekly, or y'know, just randomly. I imagine most folks follow the story consistently for a little while, then stop for a little while, then come back to follow along later.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hehe, I read the comments every day (well every page anyway, moving over the holidays got me a bunch of pages to read at once.. :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. "I imagine most folks follow the story consistently for a little while,
    then stop for a little while, then come back to follow along later."
    That is a very accurate summary of my reading habits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol Mrs. Edith seems more badass than Lynn herself! As it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy! Thank you Frost! Thank you Secret Donator!

    ReplyDelete
  12. While we're doing this, I am curious, all beings who are reading this vote me up. once. I wish to gauge my true number of fellow readers.

    ReplyDelete