Thursday, December 24, 2015

Page 1149

“Alright, fine,” said Ivan. “The real reasons are boring political ones. And you don’t want to listen to me explain all that, do you?” The man allowed another beat to pass. “Also, I’d have to kill you after I told you. So there’s that, too.”

Hector had to force himself not to react to that. Maybe it didn’t really matter at this point, but he didn’t want Ivan to see any sense of relief on his face.

After another moment of repose, the Salesman picked the conversation back up. “I suppose I don’t need to mention this, but, well. I want to. Naturally, if you fail to deliver your end of this bargain, I will hunt down everyone you care about in this world and kill them. Slowly, of course. By starving them to death. That’s why I brought that up earlier, see? That wasn’t just a random tangent. It was foreshadowing. I was using foreshadowing.”

“Yeah, I got it.”

“Of course you did. You’re a smart kid. That’s why I’m sure you won’t let me down. That’s why I’m sure I won’t have to go to all the trouble of finding all your friends and family and then gradually depriving them of food until they begin begging for death. I was never threatening you, you understand? Although, I could do that, too, if you like. In addition to your loved ones, I mean. Not instead of.”

“...Do you always ramble this much when threatening people?”

“Usually, yes. What can I say? It gets me excited, and I just can’t stop talking. But I suppose I should. We’ve been at this a while, you and I, and I have a lot of important business to take care of.”

“I’m sure you do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment