Monday, January 29, 2018

Page 1509

((Double Monday -- Page 1 of 2))
“Deceptions?” said Diego. “What deceptions? You’re the one who’s been hiding out and snatching people through mirrors.”

“Proper guidance sometimes requires extreme methods,” said Seyos. “You would know that if you were ever called upon to protect your loved ones from a threat which was far beyond your own meager power to stop.”

That was a lot of words--and passionately spoken, as well--but Diego couldn’t say he understood where any of it was coming from. He wanted to keep Seyos talking, though. “That still doesn’t explain what deceptions you were referring to. I haven’t lied to you or done anything to harm you, have I?”

“Do not play at innocence!” shouted Seyos, his tone suddenly manic. After a breath, however, he settled himself. “The others all trusted him, but I knew. I knew Ettol would bring more of you here to claim my treasure. To take my place as a new god. You are all deceivers, every one.”

“Hold on a second here. We aren’t with this Ettol person. I’ve never even met the guy. In fact, I have a lot of questions about who the hell he is, myself. From the way Malast talked about him, it sounds like Ettol is a god, too, no?”

“Hah! Ettol is no god! A pretender is all he is! A manipulator of emotion and a thief of reason and faculty!”

“Alright, well, that’s a start. Can you tell me what Ettol looks like, maybe?”

Seyos merely stared back at him.

Diego smacked his lips. “Why does nobody remember what this jackass looks like, huh? I find that extremely suspicious.”

Seyos shifted behind his cloak. “...You are truly not Ettol’s kinsmen?”

“Kinsmen? Of course not! I’m a damn Rainlord--and proud of it!”

“Rainlord?”

For a second, Diego thought he saw the light of recognition in the Hun’Sho man’s eyes. And it made no sense to Diego’s mind, but still, he had to ask, “Do you know of us?”

“A proud and ancient group of surface-dwellers,” said Seyos. “Renowned for bringing trouble wherever they go.”

Diego nodded his head admissively. “Not inaccurate, I suppose, but now you’ve made me curious--where in the world did you hear all of that?”

Again, Seyos did not answer him.

Yangéra chimed in from over Diego’s shoulder, having still not let go of him. ‘You’ve been to the surface before, haven’t you, Seyos?

“I have observed outsiders as a preventative measure for many years,” said Seyos. “I recently increased my efforts, though it appears to have been in vain.”

That made Diego squint. “Increased how?”

Seyos scowled. “Enough of your questions. You obviously have nothing of value to say.”

“I have plenty of value, if you would just listen!”

But unsurprisingly, he wouldn’t just listen, and Diego was prepared when he saw the rifle appear out from behind Seyos’ swirling cloak.

Diego didn’t doubt that it was ardor-infused, and so he dove to his right. ‘Pan-forma now,’ he told Yangéra as a flaming bullet sliced through his left arm like it was wet paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment