Saturday, March 17, 2018

Page 1604

((The 17 pages of St. Patrick's Day + Triple Saturday -- Page 8 of 20))
“...If that’s really all he wants,” said Hector, “then why hasn’t he done it by now?” He looked toward Malast again. “How many years have you been down here, holding onto that thing?”

Malast bobbed his head, having regained some composure, apparently. “...It has been quite a long time, I suppose. But then again, time is not time.”

“Oh, please, no,” said the Senmurai. “Don’t even start with that shit...”

“Bearers of the Supreme Will are quite rare,” said Malast. “And on top of that, finding one who is agreeable makes the task even more difficult. I tried in the past to find a suitable vessel for Secho, but to no avail.”

“...Did you really try that hard?” said Hector. “Are you sure you didn’t just get bored and lazy?”

“I... that’s...” Malast grit his teeth, and then added force to his next words. “Be silent.”

“...No,” was all Hector said, unfazed.

“Agh... Supreme-Will-having bastard...” He broke for a familiar sigh. “Look. The point is, I had just about given up hope of ever seeing my friend reborn when Ettol finally arrived and said that he would help me out.”

That piqued Royo’s interest--and the Senmurai’s, by the look of it.

Royo spoke up first, however. “Why did Ettol decide to help you?”

“I don’t know,” said Malast. “That guy never explains himself. And I honestly thought he was full of crap, until the three of you showed up.”

“Three?” said Hector.

“Three suitable vessels. You, the Hidden One, and the Angry One.”

Royo didn’t need to ask. He had a pretty good idea of who the Angry One was. And Malast was probably right to think that the one called Zeff would not be very agreeable to his offer. Not in these circumstances, at least.

“Hmm,” hummed Hector. “How did Secho die, anyway?”

Malast paused at that, shifting somewhat in his tall stone chair. “The Void rended him from existence.”

Royo felt the air grow abruptly more tense when Malast said that, almost as if the Idle God’s sheer animosity had been made physical.

A curious sensation, Royo thought.

“The Void?” said Hector while Royo was distracted. “You’re telling me the Void is real, too?”

Malast seemed confused by that question. “Real? Of course not. How could the Void be real? The Void is all that is not. Non-existence cannot be real.”

“...Excuse me?”

Royo didn’t quite follow that, either.

“Whatever,” said Malast. “I’m not good at explaining things, okay? Can we just get back to resurrecting Secho, please? I’d like to get a nap in later, and this annoying conversation is really eating into my me time.”

Royo saw the opening and took it. “It should be clear by now that I am your only reliable option. You must know beyond doubt that I will absolutely revive Secho for you.”

“Hold on--” tried Hector.

“No, he’s right,” said Malast. “He is far more agreeable than you are, Iron One.”

No comments:

Post a Comment